CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lutsen Getaway

James and I were lucky enough to get away for a few days and go up north.  We spent 3 days and 2 nights at the lovely Lutsen lodge.  We couldn't have asked for better weather.  It was great to be right next to the water.  We did a variety of things we we love to do each time we head north.  We of course love to stop and shop at Dewitt-Seitz Building in Duluth where my most favorite restaurant happens to be....The taste of Saigon!  Their Vietnamese egg rolls are to die for!  They are family owned business and I just love them.  In the building they have a candy shop and some art galleries and then some other gift shops I like to look at.

We headed on our way to Lutsen and checked in.  The rooms reminded me a lot of Lambs Resort, a place my family and I used to stay at when we were younger.  Very old fashioned and well, yeah, lets just stick with old-fashioned.  It was a typical log room cabin feel.  But the lodge is RIGHT on the shore and it is gorgeous.  They have chairs lying there so you can just sit and listen to the waves come in and they also have three huge fire pits with plenty of wood to burn 24 hours a day.  I think that is pretty neat.  James and I walked the shoreline and we skipped rocks which I have to admit I haven't tried to do that in years.  It brought me back:)




We had dinner at their pub and took a dip in their pool and hot tub and called it a night.  It is crazy that driving can take so much out of you. 



We did some hiking.  We choose the cascade river.  It was flowing boys and girls.  Flowing good.  Later we headed even more north to Grand Marais for, wait for it.....FUDGE.  Heck yeah, why would we even drive all this way not to get fudge.  It is only the best fudge in the world.  So we bought fudge and some homemade dog treats, which by the way were 8 dollars....James even got the lady's card just in case Otis "liked" the treats.  I'm pretty sure I won't be ordering anymore of those treats whether he "liked" them or not.  Not for that price.  I'll learn how to make my own treats thank you very much.   Oh, and we also walked to the lighthouse, I don't think I have done that since I was a little kid with my family.  There were all these cool rock sculptures people had made out there.





 I would show a picture of that but our camera battery had died the moment I turned on the camera from the very beginning of the trip, that is why you see pictures of only scenery....I got these pictures off the internet.  But really, what you see is what we saw so there you have it, our Lutsen trip in a nutshell.  What a great trip, eh?

3 comments:

  1. Wow for a second there I thought you two had become great photographers! Sounds fun, any fudge left over??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome trip. The old fashioned rooms DO remind me of Lambs. Blast from the past. I love Beth's fudge! Was the World's Best Donut shop open??

    ReplyDelete
  3. and to think i was impressed by your photography!
    i really thought you took the ones at the falls...

    funny about the room. maybe it's called a hideaway instead of a getaway because no one should see the inside of it...

    but really, up north is beautiful and it's worth it to see the waves and the trees.

    next year maybe you can upgrade to the SUITE and get a room with a KING. ;) and maybe even CLEAN WATER!

    ReplyDelete