CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Eve Tradition

Christmas is here already and I can hardly believe it!  When I was little our Christmas eve tradition was always to open one gift and then we would bundle up in our winter clothes and walk up to the surrounding neighborhoods and look at all the lights.  It was quite a sight.  I thought it was a great tradition growing up and it was something my sisters and I always looked forward to doing.
I find myself in kind of a pickle this year because it is James and I first official Christmas as the "Walbruch's" and I feel that we need to begin to make traditions of our own.  What are they going to be?  I am the girl that goes to bed at 8 pm every night.  I know, I am the party animal you don't have to say a thing. 
I found some really interesting Christmas Eve traditions from around the world....I am not sure I would want to adopt the traditions but hey, they were fun to read, for instance:
In the Czech Republic, if you’re a single woman, Christmas Eve is your chance to foretell your love life for the coming year. Single women stand with their backs to the door and throw a shoe over their shoulder. If the shoe’s toe points towards the door they’ll get married in the coming year. If not…better luck next year.
9. Waiting for the Spider
In the Ukraine it’s considered good luck if a spider appears on your christmas tree. This stems from a folk tale about an old woman too poor to afford ornaments, who found that spiders had inhabited her tree overnight and decorated its branches with their webs. If you wake to a spider on your tree on Christmas morning you’ll be blessed with good fortune.

In Catalan custom in Spain, a hollowed out log with legs and a painted face added is “fed” candies, foodstuffs, and other treasures over the course of the month of December. On Christmas Eve or Christmas, the log is placed in the fireplace and beaten with a stick until all the “food” comes out – essentially pooping. Traditionally, the final object to drop from the log is an onion, salted herring, or garlic bulb.


What are some of your Christmas Eve traditions??

4 comments:

  1. the shoe thing sounds interesting.
    my question is, couldn't you find a prettier shoe? seriously.

    i think you and james should start a new tradition called naked monopoly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really marla? do you honestly think we haven't done that yet? come on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT!!! Okay can I just say that I am so grateful I was born in America. Spiders on trees? I would not be okay with that. And what's with the log taking a "you know what" in the fire place. Why on earth would you want that? These sound like Christmas nightmares to me.

    Naked Monopoly . . . what is this blog rated anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete