CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sushi 101

My good friend recently tried sushi and LOVED it so she convinced me to go out a couple of nights ago and get sushi.  I googled best sushi places in St. Paul and found a place in downtown called Fuji Ya.  More and more I got nervous thinking about my sushi experience so I decided to do a little research of my own and these are the tips I found for first time sushi goers:


Try cooked items first. Yeah, I was thinking when I read this, you think?  I want it all cooked.  Then I will be just fine.

Start with what you know.  I know salmon.  I am not that adventurous.  I looked at the menu at Fuji Ya and I couldn't pronounce 80 percent of the items. 

Try "vegetarian" sushi.  I love this one.  How could you possibly go wrong with this?


Try the items with least "fishy" intensity.  Also agreed....considering I actually really HATE most all seafood....yes, some of you may be wondering why even try sushi then?  Yes, I am wondering that too.  Red snapper and Halibut were suggested.

 Logan and I sat down right at the sushi bar and we were able to see how they made all the little sushi.  We hit happy hour so we took advantage of that and ordered a few kinds of sushi and some appetizers.  We of course tried the vegetarian rolls which were my FAVORITE, spider rolls and another kind of sushi called crunchy wasabi.  I did try all three kinds.  However, I stuck to the vegetarian and left Logan to the others:) 

There were people around us with just slabs of raw fish on a plate.  I don't know how they do it.  Logan went on about how it is healthier to eat raw food because then you don't cook the nutrients out of it and all I heard was BLAH BLAH BLAH:)  I enjoy eating food that has been fully cooked, I happen to think it tastes better that way.  Just my personal preference though.  Still, the night was so fun and it had been awhile since I had seen her.

One day Logan and I will work again together and it will be chaos once again.  Oh, and I would totally eat sushi again...vegetarian style.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jana, now all you need to do is convince Katie to eat sushi and we can all hit up the sushi bars!

    ReplyDelete